Date & Rice Pilaf
I must share this recipe that I stumbled upon today. I was craving dates and rice and thought that they would marry quite lovely in a dish. We had some leftover squash that could go well as a side dish and we were getting hungry for lunch. I can’t believe how well the recipe turned out, even with all my modifications. This is definitely going to become a repeat favourite!
Date & Rice Pilaf (inspired by this recipe)
- 1 sliced onion
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 vegetable or vegan chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup dates, soaked in water, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp of the water used to soak dates
- 2 tbsp nut/soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp or more chopped cilantro leaves for the garnish
- Cook the rice as usual, with the bouillon cube.
- Heat vegan butter or oil in pan over medium. Add almonds and onions. Fry until almonds turn golden brown.
- Add the dates, cooked rice, date water, milk and cardamom powder.
- Mix and cook for 4-5 minutes. (Be careful not to burn rice!)
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
Here’s a picture to prove it.