Curried Coconut Soup and a Happy New Year!
Happy 2011, folks! And welcome back to Salad in a Steakhouse. I am sorry for the unannounced hiatus, but I hope that you will forgive me and continue reading throughout my first full year of vegan blog posts. I plan to have more recipes, more vegan ramblings and ruminations, and loads of other stuff, so stay tuned and please, comment at will. I know it’s hard to get back to work and face the cold and dark again, but we are in it together, so let’s make the best of it.
To kick start the new year and in the spirit of all things warm, I have a delicious soup to share with you. Consider it a late holiday gift. It’s somewhat of a combination of soup recipes from friends and other places and I think it came out quite well.
Curried Coconut Soup by joe vegan
- 4-5 large-ish carrots, chopped up
- 4 cups broccoli stalks, peeled & chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1.5 tsp ginger (or to taste)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 – 6 cups veg stock
- salt & pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Throw veggies, onion, garlic, apple, veggie stock, and salt & pepper in large pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and mix in coconut milk, curry powder, ginger and cover. Let simmer until veggies are soft (about 30 mins.)
- Using a soup ladle, transfer soup in portions to blender and blend until smooth. (Careful not to over fill and burn yourself!) Pour puréed mixture into a second pot. Repeat until all soup is puréed.
- Serve over brown rice or with toast. It’s also delicious by itself! Garnish with a sprig of parsley if desired.